La Guerra Civile Americana 1861-1865
Vuoi reagire a questo messaggio? Crea un account in pochi click o accedi per continuare.

Jefferson Davis e Joseph Johnston

+5
Banshee
Generale Meade
Benjamin F. Cheatham
dan-acw
Jubal Anderson Early
9 partecipanti

Pagina 5 di 5 Precedente  1, 2, 3, 4, 5

Andare in basso

Jefferson Davis e Joseph Johnston - Pagina 5 Empty Re: Jefferson Davis e Joseph Johnston

Messaggio  dan-acw Gio 4 Lug 2013 - 13:25

Per Bruno: ecco lo scambio di telegrammi tra Seddon e Johnston cui Davis faceva riferimento.

RICHMOND, VA., June 21, 1863.

General JOSEPH E. Johnston,

Jackson, MISS.:

Only my conviction of almost imperative necessity for action induces the official dispatch I have just sent you. On every ground I have great deference to your superior knowledge of the position, your judgment and military genius, but I feel it right to share, if need be to take, the responsibility, and leave you free to follow the most desperate course the occasion may demand. Rely upon it, the eyes and hopes of the whole Confederacy are upon you, with the full confidence that you will act, and with the sentiment that it were better to fail nobly daring than through prudence even to be inactive. I look to attack in last resort, but rely on your resources of generalship to suggest less desperate modes of relief. I can scarce dare to suggest, but might it not be possible to strike Banks first and unite the garrison of Port Hudson with you or to secure sufficient co-operation from General Smith, or to practically besiege Grant by operations with artillery from the swamps now dry on the north side of the Yazoo below Haynes' Bluff?

I rely on you for all possible [efforts] to save Vicksburg.

J. A. SEDDON.

__________________________________________________________-

CANTON, MISS., June 24, 1863.

Honorable JAMES A. SEDDON:

Your two dispatches of 21st received. There has been no voluntary
inaction. When I came, all military materials of the department were in Vicksburg and Port Hudson. Artillery had to be brought from the east; horses for it and all field transportation procured in an exhausted country-much from Georgia brought over wretched railroads-and provisions collected. I have not had the means of moving. We cannot contend with the enemy north of the Yazoo. He can place a large force there in a few hours; we a small one in ten or twelve days. We cannot relieve Port Hudson without giving up Jackson, by which we should lose Mississippi. Kirby Smith sent troops to give all possible aid to Vicksburg, but they have not been used by their commanders.

J. E. Johnston,
General.
dan-acw
dan-acw
Tenente-generale
Tenente-generale

Numero di messaggi : 913

Torna in alto Andare in basso

Jefferson Davis e Joseph Johnston - Pagina 5 Empty Re: Jefferson Davis e Joseph Johnston

Messaggio  ROSSETTI BRUNO Gio 4 Lug 2013 - 14:08

dan-acw ha scritto:Per Bruno: ecco lo scambio di telegrammi tra Seddon e Johnston cui Davis faceva riferimento.

RICHMOND, VA., June 21, 1863.

General JOSEPH E. Johnston,

Jackson, MISS.:

Only my conviction of almost imperative necessity for action induces the official dispatch I have just sent you. On every ground I have great deference to your superior knowledge of the position, your judgment and military genius, but I feel it right to share, if need be to take, the responsibility, and leave you free to follow the most desperate course the occasion may demand. Rely upon it, the eyes and hopes of the whole Confederacy are upon you, with the full confidence that you will act, and with the sentiment that it were better to fail nobly daring than through prudence even to be inactive. I look to attack in last resort, but rely on your resources of generalship to suggest less desperate modes of relief. I can scarce dare to suggest, but might it not be possible to strike Banks first and unite the garrison of Port Hudson with you or to secure sufficient co-operation from General Smith, or to practically besiege Grant by operations with artillery from the swamps now dry on the north side of the Yazoo below Haynes' Bluff?

I rely on you for all possible [efforts] to save Vicksburg.

J. A. SEDDON.

__________________________________________________________-

CANTON, MISS., June 24, 1863.

Honorable JAMES A. SEDDON:

Your two dispatches of 21st received. There has been no voluntary
inaction. When I came, all military materials of the department were in Vicksburg and Port Hudson. Artillery had to be brought from the east; horses for it and all field transportation procured in an exhausted country-much from Georgia brought over wretched railroads-and provisions collected. I have not had the means of moving. We cannot contend with the enemy north of the Yazoo. He can place a large force there in a few hours; we a small one in ten or twelve days. We cannot relieve Port Hudson without giving up Jackson, by which we should lose Mississippi. Kirby Smith sent troops to give all possible aid to Vicksburg, but they have not been used by their commanders.

J. E. Johnston,
General.

Ciao
Intanto grazie!
E' incredibile vedo la firma di Johnston e mi sembra di leggere un messaggio di Pemberton! forse i due sono molto più simili di quanto comunemente si creda!!! Entrambi si aspettano che siano gli altri a risolvergli i problemi!!!!

Comunque il "nostro" aveva circa 32.000 uomini lasciandone 10/12.000 a Vicksburg poteva spostarne 20.000 a Port Hudson fra l'altro disponeva di una comoda ferrovia che nonostante le vanterie di Grierson e le sua lamentele era per la maggior parte ancora intatta, bisogna comunque ricordare che erano passati quasi 3 mesi dall'incursione federale, c'era stato tutto il tempo per rimettere a posto tutto. Ai suoi 20.000 si dovevano aggiungere almeno 5.000 uomini della guarnigione ancora validi e 2/3.000 uomini che non erano stati circondati insieme al resto della guarnigione quindi avrebbe potuto schierare almeno 27.000 uomini quasi tutti veterani, mentre i 15/18.000 di Banks erano quasi tutti novellini di LEVA e in procinto di congedarsi. Parafransando una pubblicità potremmo dire "ti piace vincere facile?'".
Saluti
Bruno
p.s. non per impicciarmi dei fatti tuoi, MA TU NON DOVRESTRI ESSERE AFFACENDATO IN TUTT'ALTRE COSE? Very Happy Smile 
ROSSETTI BRUNO
ROSSETTI BRUNO
Brigadier-generale
Brigadier-generale

Numero di messaggi : 522

Messaggio  dan-acw Ven 5 Lug 2013 - 0:56

Questo telegramma in realtà non contiene grosse assurdità ma se invece lo analizziamo alla luce di tutta la carriera di Joe Joe assume un diverso valore.
Certo viene da sorridere leggendo la scusa del "non lasciare Jackson al nemico" considerando che di li a poco il vecchio Joe avrebbe consegnAto per la seconda volta la capitale del Mississippi nelle mani dei federali.

Concordo con i tuoi numeri ed anzi aggiungo almeno altro 5000 uomini di Taylor che avrebbero potuto collaborare.

Quanto alle altre faccende...........ho un aereo tra 6 ore che mi porterà negli States:D ma niente campi di battaglia purtroppo😢 Crying or Very sad 
dan-acw
dan-acw
Tenente-generale
Tenente-generale

Numero di messaggi : 913

Messaggio  Contenuto sponsorizzato

Contenuto sponsorizzato

Pagina 5 di 5 Precedente  1, 2, 3, 4, 5

- Argomenti simili